Where does the flour come from in our bread?
The “Anzenaumühle” (Anzenau mill), located directly on the Salzkammergut main road (B145) between Bad Goisern on Lake Hallstatt and the imperial town of Bad Ischl, is the oldest property in the village of Anzenau near Lauffen. Today, the small community belongs to the town of Bad Ischl, and the history of this property can be traced from 1584 onwards. Today, visitors from all over the world can visit the open-air museum!
Background knowledge: Historical facts Anzenaumühle
The first pictorial representation of the Anzenau mill can be found on a Merian engraving from Lauffen from around 1646. At the beginning of the 18th century, a saw mill and a plaster kiln were added to the existing farmhouse with mill and bakery. A bathroom also belonged to the Zwiehof, whose stable barn was located on the eastern side of the hill.
A place with a long history
A total of five trades were practiced on this respectable farm: agriculture, milling, sawmilling, black bakery and gypsum processing. The house, the Anzenaumühle, represents in its current external appearance the building stock of the early 18th century. The house is adjoined by an extension that is already more than three hundred years old. The world-famous black "Anzenaumühlnerbrot" bread was baked in the mighty oven. On certain days, it is again produced in the Anzenaumühle for show purposes. The large living room is dominated by a free-standing, green flamed tiled stove with a stove bench. Behind the oven is a chamber with a bed for the baker or miller.
Directly adjacent to the large parlour is the bake house, where the bread was prepared. From the bakery, the loaves with the dough were passed into the "Schwarze Kuchl" (black kitchen) to be thrown into the oven.
The cosy "Stüberl" (parlour), into which the oven protrudes, borders on the bakery. In this "Stüberl" there are racks attached to the ceiling, on which the loaves of bread were once placed until the dough was ready to be "thrown" into the oven. Due to the constant room temperature, the "Stüberl" used to be best suited for "letting the bread rise".
The grinding room extends over the entire basement. The carved beamed ceiling above the grinding platform dates from the 19th century. Of the three mill wheels, only one is still in operation today.
In 1973, the farm building that had been demolished in 1962 was restored. It is a log structure with a brick basement. A steep boarded roof lies on top of the log structure, which was built with unhewn tree trunks.
In 1965, the residential house and the mill were restored by the "Verband OÖ. Open-air museums" and set up as a museum.
There's always something going on in the old mill!
The Anzenaumühle Adventure Museum also hosts numerous large and small events throughout the year: The most beautiful of these is certainly the mill advent in the pre-Christmas period with its very special atmosphere.